Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Love Thy Neighbor

Four years ago, Chris and I had just moved from Galveston Island, Texas (where Chris had been completing his physical therapy masters degree at UTMB) back to Austin, Texas.  Austin was where we had always decided that we would settle. I couldn't be more thrilled to be back.  Chris was still finishing up his internships around different parts of Southeast Texas, but I set up our apartment and got a job so that we could begin to put down some roots.  Meanwhile, he came across a sports medicine clinic in Tomball, Texas.  He was so excited about this place and I had a feeling that the 6 month lease we took on the apartment in Austin was not going to be extended.  He eagerly accepted a job in Tomball and I was heartbroken.  But seeing him so happy about his career and the fact that the home prices were drastically lower in the Houston area, perked me up a bit that we might be able to be homeowners and the house hunt was on.  


Our Beautiful Rental Home In Historical Galveston


We did all of our house hunting online. We came across our home pretty quickly and I just new it was the one.  I loved that it was small, the paint colors were just our style, it was almost new construction and the neighborhood reminded me a lot of Austin with all of its trails and mature trees.  We saw only one house in person during our house hunt and it's the house we purchased. Pretty crazy, but we didn't need to look at any others, we just knew this was it.

Fast forward a few years to when we found out we were going to be raising quadruplets....in a 1600 sq. ft. house?  Maybe this house wasn't ever supposed to be "the one" after all. But the thought of moving in the midst of this major life change was out of the question for me.  I just couldn't do it.  And praise the Lord we didn't!

Our neighbors are the sweetest, kindest, most fun people to have living nearby!  I truly believe that it's no mistake that our family of 6 is shoved in this little house because it wasn't ever about the walls around us, it was about our neighbors. To be continued...

10 comments:

The Murray Crew said...

YEAH for a continued saga! =) Girl, you're 1600 feet had us beat by 200 square feet! =) Less to clean, less places for the babies to hide, right? =)

That rental looks amazing...you two are so stinkin' cute together.

Love you!

Shannon said...

It's great getting to know my neighors finally. I am sad I have missed out on y'all for so long. What a blessing to get to know everyone. Your house in Galveston looked cool... I love the beach. See ya Thursday.

Alaine said...

So true Mari-it's all about the people we meet. Short, long, close, just passing - each person we meet becomes part of our life. Much love.

mrs boo radley said...

If we ever had four (or two or one or three), less square footage would indeed be better--less places to roam and hide...like your first commenter said. :)

Tamara Mitchell said...

The home is beautiful! I can't wait to read the continuation...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad y'all are in a place you love. However, I must admit to a blast of melancholic nostalgia upon seeing y'all in G-town! We really enjoyed living down the beautiful street from y'all...
Jen Martin Rider

Suzanne said...

awww...cool post! loved that house in G-town. and i BET you miss austin! but i'm so glad God put you right where he wanted you and that you have awesome neighbors! love you guys...

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for you to move on back to Galveston!!! We miss you!
I cannot believe the quads are almost one year old! Wow, how time flies.
Love, Heather & Todd

Fulton Quads said...

I truly believe that it takes a village to raise a family. Good neighbors are the best! I wish we could pack ours up with us! Here we are looking for a BIGGER house & I NEVER even thought about a bigger house gives them more places in which to hide. OH NO what am I in for!? (=

Regina said...

Small world! My hubby and I are UTMB PT grads! :) We loved loved Galveston and the gorgeous historic homes! Looking forward to the continuation!